10 Tips to Fall Asleep Fast
October 12, 2015
How to fall asleep – fast!
We’ve all experienced being tired, lying in bed at night, wanting and trying desperately to sleep for a long period of time. This experience can be very frustrating, and even start a cycle of sleep deprivation, loss of concentration, and cognitive problems.
Tips to aid ‘fast’, regular sleep
1. Avoid using your phone, laptop/computer, and the TV for at least an hour before you go to bed.
2. Avoid eating for at least 2 hours before bedtime.
3. Do not drink stimulant drinks – e.g. tea, coffee, soft drinks – for at least 3 hours before bed.
4. If you must have a drink close to bedtime, drink water or milk.
5. Try to relax with your family and friends before bedtime.
6. Exercise gently before going to bed (exercise gently, if at all, just before going to bed; look to exercise more strenuously earlier in the day so that your body has enough time to wind down and recover before bed).
7. Go to bed at a regular time each day.
8. Sleep in the dark; any artificial light can make it more difficult for your body to sleep.
9. Try to blank out all worries and relax; i.e. try to think of nothing before you drift off. Reading can help you to relax your mind.
10. Practise deep breathing techniques at night to oxygenate the lungs,
If your sleep deprivation persists, tell your parents and ask their advice. They may encourage you to attend the doctor.