Mock exam paper D - Music Listening Higher Level
PRE-LEAVING CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION, 2014
LISTENING (100 marks)
Duration: 1 hour and a half
Q. 1 An excerpt from Symphonie Famtastique by Berlioz
- The full excerpt will be played ONCE only. Sections A, B and C, taken from the excerpt, will then be played THREE times. There is a twenty second gap between each playing of the music in this question.
- Answer the questions that follow
Section A, The first 16 bars are printed below, Bars 256 - 272
Section B, Bars 288 – 301
Section C, There is no printed music for this section
- Name 2 instruments playing the theme written in the printed score above from bars 256 to 264?
1. ___________________________ 2. ___________________________
(ii) The motif played by the instruments in (i) is inspired by which theme?
■ 1 ■ 2 ■ 3 ■ Ideé Fixe
- Explain your answer in (ii)
Section B, Bars 288 - 301
- From which section of the work is the excerpt taken?
■Exposition ■ Development ■ Recapitulation
(ii) Briefly describe the mood of the excerpt?
(iii) Identify and describe the rhythmic technique played by the lower strings.
Section C, Bars 302 - 319. There is no printed music for this section
(i) Describe one way in which the music in this theme differs from the first time it is heard in the movement.
(ii) In the space provided, give...