Mock exam paper D - Music Composing Ordinary Level
PRE-LEAVING CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION, 2014
COMPOSING (100 marks)
Duration: 1 hour and a half
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
❐Write your examination number, as required, in the box above.
❐Answer the questions in the spaces provided in this question answer book.
❐You may use the spaces in the middle and at the end of the question- answer book for rough work.
1.Total of end of page totals
2. Aggregate total of all disallowed questions
3. Total mark awarded (1 minus 2)
Answer TWO questions – ONE from Section A (Melody Composition) and ONE from Section B (Harmony)
SECTION A – MELODY COMPOSITION (40 marks)
Answer ONE QUESTION ONLY in this section: Q1 or Q2 or Q3. Note that both Q1 and Q3 contain two sections
Q1. CONTINUATION OF A GIVEN OPENING
In the case of both (a) and (b)
- Continue the given opening to make an 8-bar melody, ending on the keynote that is, doh.
- Add appropriate phrasing and expression marks to the melody
- Choose a suitable instrument for your melody from the following list:
(a) ❐ violin ❐ flute ❐ clarinet ❐ horn
(b) ❐violin ❐descant recorder ❐ trumpet ❐ horn
Q.2 SETTING MUSIC TO A GIVEN TEXT
Study the following verse:
When I was sick and lay a-bed
I had two pillows at my head
All my toys beside me lay
To keep me happy all the day
- The first two lines have been set to a rhythm. Compose a rhythm to fit the remaining words
When I was sick and lay a - bed
I had two pil - lows at my head
All my toys be - side me lay to
Keep me hap - py all the day.
- Using this rhythm, compose a melody of eight bars, beginning as indicated and e...