Home Economics Food Studies, Revision Notes
Table of Contents
Food Choices 2
Special Diets 54
Food Preparation and Cooking Processes 69
Soups and Sauces 79
Raising Agents 84
Alternative Protein Foods 118
Fats and Oils 127
Fruit, Vegetables and Nuts 131
The Irish Diet 140
Food Processing 149
Food Packaging and labelling 153
Food Additives and Food Contamination 158
Food Preservation 166
Microbiology (H.L.) 179
Food Spoilage 191
Food Safety and Hygiene 196
Sensory Analysis 205
- Factors affecting food choices.
- Beliefs & values.
- Foods traditional in countries e.g. pasta in Italy, potatoes in Ireland.
- Religion e.g. Jews do not eat pig meat.
- Multicultural influence due to travel, immigration media, transport, processing.
2. Eating Patterns:
- Busy lifestyle means: more convenience foods.
- Family members eat separately, fewer family meals.
- Individual’s culinary skills.
3. Sensory Aspects:
- The senses, especially sight smell and taste, have a major role to play in food choices.
- Consumers have expectations about the temperature, colour, appearance etc. of food often established in childhood. If food doesn’t meet these expectations they will not choose the food.
4. Nutritional Awareness:
- More people know about nutrition and health these days because of the work of The Health Promotion Unit and Bord Bia.
- Many people want to eat a healthy diet consisting of fresh food low in sugar salt and fat, high in fibre, vitamins and minerals.
- Many people wish to avoid GM foods and additives.
- All this will affect the food they choose to eat. Many restaurants now even provide the nutritional content on their food which helps consumers make healthier choices.
5. Health Status:
- Some people are on restricted diets e.g. diabetic and coeliac and other people have food allergies e.g. nut, lactose intolerant.
- Others have medical conditions that restrict their food cho...