Mock exam paper C Ordinary Level Marking Scheme
PRE-LEAVING CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION, 2013
Marking Scheme and Solutions
Leaving Certificate Examination
HOME ECONOMICS – SCIENTIFIC AND SOCIAL
2 ½ hours
Answer any ten questions from this section.
Each question is worth 6 marks.
1. (a) Lipase
(b) Emulsifies fats to aid lipase to break down lipids.
- Needed to form pigment rhodopsin
- Needed for health of epithelial tissues, skin and membranes
- Needed for healthy skin
- Needed for optimum growth
(b) liver, fish liver oils, herrings, butter, margarine, egg yolks , carrots, dark green vegetables, spinach, peas, cabbage, apricots
3. (a) 3@2 marks Carbon (C), Hydrogen (H), Oxygen (O), Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous, Sulphur
4. (a) To prevent constipation, to aid digestion. 1@2 marks
b) Choose whole wheat or brown bread instead of white bread.
Leave skins on fruit and vegetables where possible. 4
5. Imports: Vegetables - Peppers, Green Beans, Fennel, Fruits - Melons, Oranges, Pineapples 3x1
Exports: Dairy products, meat, beverages, prepared consumer food, etc. 3x1
6. (a) Food is packaged in order to prevent the following:
- Transfer of flavours (4)
(b) Examples of packaging:
- Aluminium foil
- Waxed paper
- Cling film
- Greaseproof paper
- Plastic bags or tubs
- Aerosols (2 x 1marks)
- Avoid waste: strawberries are plentiful ('in season') in July but not domestically available throughout the rest of the year.
- Convenience: frozen vegetables need no further preparation. This saves time by not having to peel and chop them.
- Facilitate distribution: allows things like fruit and vegetables to be transported from their country of origin to other countries without causing any deterioration to the product.
- Makes seasonal produce available all year round - frozen strawberries are available all year round. (6) 3@2
8. Give one recommendation under each of the following headings in relation to safe foo...