Mock exam paper C Higher Level Marking Scheme
PRE-LEAVING CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION, 2013
Marking Scheme and Solutions
Leaving Certificate Examination, 2013
HOME ECONOMICS – SCIENTIFIC AND SOCIAL (HIGHER LEVEL)
2 ½ hours
Answer any ten questions from this section. Each question is worth 6 marks.
1. Name three animal sources of protein and three vegetable sources of protein. (6)
Animal Sources of Protein
Vegetable Sources of Protein
2. (a) State two properties of lipids in the body. (2)
-Insoluble in water
- Plasticity, i.e., spreadability
- Hydrogenation, i.e., a liquid oil becomes solid with the addition of hydrogen gas
- Rancidity, i.e., when a fat molecule splits into fatty acids and glycerol outside the body
- Melts when heated, smokes at 220°C and bursts into flame at 320°C
(b) 2 functions of lipids in the body
-Supply fat soluble vitamins A.D.E.K.
- Supply essential fatty acids
- Protects internal organs
- Insulates the body
- Source of energy (4)
3. (a) State two biological functions of water (4)
Necessary to transport nutrients, hormones, oxygen and enzymes around body to cells; important in hydrolysis of nutrients in digestion; required for all body fluids – digestive juices, mucous, saliva, blood etc.; essential component of body cells; keeps the body cool; provides minerals – calcium and fluorine; quenches thirst; lubricates joints & membranes; assists in excretion etc.
(b) State the 2 elements that make up the composition of water (2)
Hydrogen, Oxygen (2:1)
4. List three main functions of carbohydrates in food. (6)
For example, Sweeteners, Gelling agents, Thickeners, Stabilisers
5. 4 sources of calcium.
(i) Milk, Cheese, Yogurt, Eggs
(ii) Sardines, Tinned Salmon
(iii) Bread, Cabbage
(iv) Sesame seeds, Figs (4)
2 functions of calcium: - Combines with phosphate to strengthen bones and teeth.
- Works with vitamin K in blood clotting.
- Ensures correct working of muscle an...