Mock exam paper A Higher Level Marking Scheme
PRE-LEAVING CERTIFICATE, 2011
HOME ECONOMICS –
SCIENTIFIC AND SOCIAL
In developing the marking schemes the following should be noted:
- In many cases only key phrases are given which contain information and ideas that must appear in the candidate’s answer in order to merit the assigned marks
- The descriptions, methods and definitions in the scheme are not exhaustive and alternative valid answers are acceptable
- The detail required in any answer is determined by the context and the manner in which the question is asked, and by the number of marks assigned to the answer in the examination paper.
Requirements and mark allocations may, therefore, vary from year to year.
- Words, expressions or phrases must be correctly used in context and not contradicted, and where there is evidence of incorrect use or contradiction, the marks may not be awarded.
Leaving Certificate Home Economics – Scientific and Social
Written Examination – Higher Level
Answer any ten questions from this section.
Each question is worth 6 marks.
Write your answers in the spaces provided.
1. Classify carbohydrates and give the chemical formula of each. (6)
(i) C6 H12 O6
(ii) C12 H22 O11
(iii) (C6 H10 O5)n
2. Name the enzyme that breaks down starch. (6)
3. What is hypervitaminosis?
(4 marks) (6)
___Large amounts of vitamin A and D build up in the liver reaching toxic levels and causing health
List two sources of beta-carotene.
(i) carrot, watercress, melon (ii) spinach, aprico...