Mock exam paper A - P1 Higher Level Marking Scheme
5 marks: Att 2 marks
PRE-LEAVING CERTIFICATE 2011
ENGLISH – PAPER 1
LEAVING CERTIFICATE ENGLISH 2011 – HIGHER LEVEL
CRITERIA FOR ASSESSMENT
The tasks set for candidates in both Paper 1 and Paper 2 will be assessed in accordance with the following criteria:
- Clarity of Purpose (P) 30% of the marks available for the task
- Coherence of Delivery (C) 30% of the marks available for the task
- Efficiency of Language Use (L) 30% of the marks available for the task
- Accuracy of Mechanics (M) 10% of the marks available for the task
Each answer will be in the form of a response to a specific task, requiring candidates
- To display a clear and purposeful engagement with the set task
- To sustain the response in an appropriate manner over the entire answer
- To manage and control language appropriate to the task
- To display levels of accuracy in spelling and grammar appropriate to the required/chosen register.
Schematised detail regarding these criteria is to be found in Appendix 1 of this Marking Scheme.
The Grade Grid utilised for purposes of applying the criteria for assessment throughout the marking is to be found in Appendix 2 of the Marking Scheme.
Where discrete criteria awarding is in operation, marks will be indicated on candidates’ scripts in all instances in the order in which they are set out above.
Thus Clarity of Purpose will always appear first in the list of marks. Marks awarded for Coherence of Delivery will follow and so on to the end.
Use of Codes
To assist with forming a judgement, it will be necessary to place an accurate tick at the points
identified in the answer and to use the proper shorthand codes as indicated throughout the marking scheme.
Use of the full range of marks available
Examiners should make themselves familiar with the range of marks available for each of the tasks set and utilise the full range of marks as appropriate in the course of the marking.
The list of texts prescribed for assessment in 2011 is set out in the Department of Education & Science...