Mock exam paper A Higher Level
PRE-LEAVING CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION 2011
ENGINEERING – MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
TOTAL 300 MARKS.
1. Answer Sections A and B of Question 1 and FOUR other questions.
2. All answers must be written in ink on the answer book supplied.
3. Diagrams should be drawn in pencil.
4. Squared paper is supplied for diagrams and graphs as required.
5. Please label and number carefully each question attempted.
QUESTION 1. (100 MARKS)
SECTION A answer ten short question
- Give two precautions against the irritant effects of materials.
- Identify two main stages in the extraction of a metal from its ore.
- What is an n-type semiconductor?
- Identify clearly the processes used to manufacture any two of the following:
- Brass Door Knocker;
- Vehicle Reflector Lenses;
- Plastic Windows Frames.
- What is the difference in structure between glass and ceramics?
- State two safety precautions related to the drilling machine.
- Identify two defects in the crystal structure of a metal.
- What is the main difference between thermo plastic and thermosetting adhesives?
- Explain the difference in elasticity between rubber and metals.
- Identify clearly the purpose of (i) an optical pyrometer or (ii) a computer interface.
- State two ways in which materials may be affected by environmental reactions.
- What is the function of (i) a pneumatic valve or (ii) programmable logic control (PLC)?
- Identify a technological feature associated with any one of the following:
- Robert MacGhee
- George Devol
- Charles Babbage.
Answer all questions.
QUESTION.1 (50 marks)
(i ) What is the purpose of incineration?
- Explain the terms Ash, Dioxins, furans.
- State three objectives of Incineration?
- Explain with Diagrams three of the following
- Explain Flue Gas Monitoring
- What are the advantages / disadvantages of Incineration?
QUESTION.2 (50 marks)
- Referring to a tensile test, state two fac...