Mock exam paper D Section B Ordinary Level
Pre -Junior Certificate Examination, 2014
Materials Technology - Wood
Section B (60 marks)
(a) Answer three questions. All questions carry equal marks.
(b) You may answer either question 5A or question 5B but not both of them.
(c) Where sketches are required they may be done freehand or on the graph paper.
(d) Write your name on the answer book and on all other pages used.
(e) Question 1 from this section must be answered on drawing paper. All other questions
should be answered on the answer book supplied.
- The diagram on the right shows a child’s toy made from wood.
- Describe using notes and sketches a method of joining the side A to side B.
- Describe using notes and sketches how one of the shaped holes could be cut out and shaped smooth.
- Name one tool used to cut out the hole. Make a neat freehand sketch of the tool.
2. The diagram bellow shows a pictorial drawing of a letter holder all material is 10 mm thick.
- Draw full size, a Front Elevation looking in the direction of arrow A.
- Project an END Elevation from this view.
- Include Four main Dimensions on the drawing.
Show clearly, the dimension lines, arrow heads etc.
3. Trees are often divided into two categories. Deciduous and Coniferous.
(i) Oak is a deciduous tree commonly found in Ireland. Name Two other deciduous trees which grow in Ireland.
(ii) Describe using notes and neat freehand sketches Four characteristics of deciduous trees.
(iii) Sitka spruce is a coniferous tree that grows in Ireland. Name Two other types of coniferous tree that grows in Ireland.
(iv) Describe using notes and neat freehand sketches Four characteristics of coniferous trees.
4. The diagram on the right shows a wooden spice rack made from Oak
(i).Give two reasons why Oak is a suitable material for this project.
(ii). Describe using notes and neat freehand sketches two design changes you would suggest to make the box more decorative.
(iii). Name a suitable applied finish for the spice rack. Give two reasons for your choice.