Mock exam paper D Section A Ordinary Level
Pre -Junior Certificate Examination, 2014
Materials Technology - Wood
Section A (40 marks)
Time: 2 hours
5(a) or 5(b)
(a) Answer any sixteen questions.
(b) All questions carry equal marks.
(c) Answer the questions in the spaces provided.
(d) This booklet must be handed up at the end of the examination.
(e) Write your name in the box provided and
on all other pages used.
SECTION A- 40 MARKS
Answer any 16 questions from this section. All questions carry equal marks.
- From the list given identify the two nails marked A and B.
Round wire Nail
Oval wire Nail
2. Name the tool labelled A and give its use.
Name the tool labelled B and give its use.
3. An unfinished diagram of a piece of wood is shown.
Draw in the end grain.
4. What is the correct name of the fitting shown in the diagram.
Give its correct use.
5. State the name of which tree in the list the leaves come from.
6. Complete the arrows A and B to show the correct direction the piece of wood should be planed to give a smooth finish.
7. Give one ADVANTAGE and one DISADVANTAGE of a cordless drill.
8. With which electric power tool is the bit in the diagram shown used.
9. List TWO safety precautions that you should follow when VARNISHING a piece of wood.
10. Name the moulding at A in the diagram.
11. What is the bottom surface of a plane at X called.
12. Why is oil put on an oil stone when sharpening a chisel or plane blade.
13. Name the method of timber conversion shown in the diagram.
14. Complete the sketch of the bridle joint.
15. Using an arrow indicate the LIVE terminal on the diagram.
16. List TWO safety precautions that should be followed when using a CHISEL.
17. Name the part of the tree labelled X in the diagram.
18. Name the ...