Mock exam paper D Section A Higher Level
Pre -Junior Certificate Examination, 2014
Materials Technology - Wood
Section A (40 marks)
Time: 2 hours
5(a) or 5(b)
(a) Answer any sixteen questions.
(b) All questions carry equal marks.
(c) Answer the questions in the spaces provided.
(d) This booklet must be handed up at the end of the examination.
(e) Write your name in the box provided and
on all other pages used.
Answer any 16 questions from this section. All questions carry equal marks.
Section A – 40 MARKS
- (i) Name the power tool shown in the diagram.
(ii) For what purpose is the tool used?
2. Shown in the diagram is a wood screw. In the spaces provided name the parts labelled X,Y and Z
3. The board shown in the diagram has become distorted across its width.
(i) What is this type of defect commonly called?
(ii) What causes a board to distort in this manner?
4. The steps involved in preparing a wooden garden bench for an oil based paint are listed below.
Place them in their correct order.
5. The diagram bellow shows three boards which are to be edge- jointed to form a table top. The end grain of one boards is shown. On the diagram sketch in the end grain pattern of the other two boards which would minimise distortion of the table top.
6. The diagram shows a method of timber seasoning.
(i) What is the correct name for this method of seasoning?
(ii) What is the function of the fan in this method of seasoning?
7. The diagram bellow shows the outline of three common Irish trees, their fruits are also shown. In the spaces provided name the trees.
8. In the manufacture of exterior grade plywood what do the letters W.B.P stand for?
9. Complete the sketch to show a haunched mortise and tenon joint.
10. The diagram shows a step ladder with a bucket of water resting on top of it.
What force is acting on the rail R?