Mock exam paper C Higher Level
PRE-JUNIOR CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION, 2013
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
Higher level – 100 Marks
Duration 2 hours
- Answer Question 1, Section A and B, and three other questions.
- All answers must be written in ink on the answer book.
Diagrams should be drawn in pencil.
- Squared paper is supplied for diagrams as required.
- Please label and number carefully each question attempted
Question 1 (40 Marks)
SECTION A – 20 MARKS COMPULSORY
Answer any five questions.
You are required to answer Question 1A, 1B and 3 other questions.
- Briefly describe the contribution made to technology by one of the following:
- John P.Holland
- Guiglielmo Marconi
- Charles A Parsons
- Name the engine stroke shown in the top picture
- Name the engine stroke shown in the second picture
- Give 2 example of where you would find the 4 stroke engine used
- Explain the function of piston rings
- Give a brief explanation of any
two of the following mechanical properties:
- The picture shows a basic electric circuit containing 3 components; switch, bulb & battery. Draw a circuit diagram to represent the components including the correct symbol for each
QUESTION 2 (20 Marks)
A simple model of a design process is shown opposite.
- (i) Outline what is required at the Test/Modify stage. (4 marks)
(ii) Explain why the diagram on the right is refered to as the design “loop”. (4 marks)
- A heavy bag for training boxers is to be hung from the wall in a gym.
(i) Design with the aid of a diagram a suitable metal unit to hold the heavy bag. (4 marks)
(ii)Explain using a separate diagram, how the unit is to be attached to the wall. (4 marks)
(iii) What method of joining the material for the unit would you use. Why? (4 marks)
The diagram on the right shows the facing off process on the centre lathe. Name & draw a simple diagram to explain any three other lathe processes.
Calculate the speed in RPM to turn a 30mm round steel bar at a cutting speed of 35m/min using the gi...