PRE-JUNIOR CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION, 2011
MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY
Higher level – 100 Marks
Duration 2 hours
1. Answer Question 1, Section A and B, and three other questions.
2. All answers must be written in ink on the answer book.
Diagrams should be drawn in pencil.
3. Squared paper is supplied for diagrams as required.
4. Please label and number carefully each question attempted.Question 1 (40 marks)
QUESTION 1 SECTION A 20 marks (COMPULSORY) Answer any 5 questions on this page. You are required to answer Question 1A, 1B and 3 other questions.
- Briefly describe the contribution made to technology by one of the following:
- Nicholas Otto
- Charles Goodyear
- Karl Von Sauerbonn
- Give 2 suitable applications for a two stroke engine.
- Name Part A in the diagram. Briefly describe its function in the two stroke engine.
- What type of motion occurs at B and C in the diagram of a Two Stroke Engine.
- A four stroke engine operates on a four stroke cycle. Name any 2 of these strokes.
- Complete the table below by entering an example for each plastic type and also a use for each.
- (i) Identify the components A and B in this basic electronic circuit.
(ii) Give one advantage of using a parallel circuit as opposed to series.
QUESTION 1 SECTION B -20 marks (COMPULSORY)
Answer any 5 questions on this page.
The drawing shows the Frame, Side Car Wheel and Assembly Drawing of the 2011 Metalwork Higher Level Project, Model
Motorcycle and Sidecar.
- List 2 Lathe processes used to make the Sidecar Wheel.
- List 2 safety precautions to be observed when working on the Lathe.
- (i) Calculate the overall length of the Mud Guard.
(ii)Describe how the Mud Guard is bent to its final shape.
- (i) Briefly explain the operation of the electronic circuit shown.
(ii)Outline the purpose of the resistor in the circuit.
- State any 2 advantages for having a remote control panel to operate the Model Motorcycle & Sidecar
- Several parts of this model are made from acrylic. Explain...
Sign In To View
Sign in or sign up in order to view resources on iRevise
Create An Account