Mock exam paper A Ordinary Level
PRE-LEAVING CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION, 2011
HISTORY – ORDINARY LEVEL
Field of Study: Later Modern, 1815 – 1993
Written examination: 400 marks
Duration: 2 hours and 50 minutes
Instructions to candidates:
Attempt Sections 1, 2 and 3 inside.
- Section 1 (100 marks)
Documents-based question (Ireland: Topic 5).
Answer all parts of this section.
- Section 2 (100 marks) Ireland: Topics 1, 2, 3, 4, 6.
Answer one question from one topic.
- Section 3 (200 marks)
Europe and the wider world: Topics 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Answer one question on each of two topics.
Page 1 of 14
SECTION 1: DOCUMENTS-BASED STUDY
Ireland: Topic 5
Politics and society in Northern Ireland, 1949 – 1993
Case study to which the documents relate:
The Coleraine University Controversy
Study the documents opposite and answer the questions below:
1(a) According to document A, give two reasons why Coleraine was the favourite location for the new University?
- According to document A, list two academic subjects which the Lockwood Committee feels will be taught at the new University?
- According to document B, where do the “minority” reside?
- According to document B, what is “the plan” of the Stormont government?
2(a) Do the two documents agree on the reasons for choosing Coleraine as the site of the new University? Refer to both documents in your answer.
- In your opinion, which document, A or B, explains more clearly the reasons for choosing Coleraine as the site of the new University?
3(a) Which document, A or B, is more likely to be biased? Explain your answer, referring to both documents.
- What is the value to an historian of documents like documents A and B above? Explain your answer, referring to both documents.
- Why did many Catholics think there was a “West of the Bann” policy at Stormont?
Page 2 of 14
Minutes of the second meeting of an inter-departmental Working Party on Higher Education, June
No decision had yet been come to by the Committee but it was clear from the last meeting that the trend of opinion was in favour of ...