Business Studies, Essential Revision Notes
Chapter 1: How to write a letter
- Writing a letter can be easy if you follow a few simple rules.
- Take your time and think carefully about WHO you are writing to.
1. Starting off…..
- Correct addresses: YOUR address (right)
- Their address (left - but only if it is an official letter, not personal)
- Dear Sir or Madam ( or their actual name…Jim, Anne,Mr.Jones, Miss.Peters,
- Indent (bring it in a bit) the first word under ‘Madam’
2. 1st paragraph….
- Why are you writing to them...”I am writing to you to because…..”
- Explain who YOU are….
- Be polite! “I hope you don’t mind me writing to you but I had tell you about..”
- Be strong (If it is a letter of complaint) eg.” I must inform you that I am not happy with….”
This is the MAIN section of your letter
- You can have more than one paragraph
- If it is a persuasive letter, then take 1 or 2 points of persuasion for each paragraph
- Don’t make one enormous paragraph- it looks boring!
- Use connectives (firstly, secondly, next,…)
- State each point, then back it up eg. I believe Italy will win the World Cup because they have extreme talent and have greater fitness.
- Offer your own opinion on things. eg. I ...